Job Openings at the Sacramento Zoo
Open since 1927, the Sacramento Zoo is home to over 140 native, exotic and endangered species and is one of over 200 accredited institutions of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The Zoo is wholly managed by the Sacramento Zoological Society, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and provides an educational and recreational resource to the Sacramento Region.
Janitor/ Grounds Attendant Worker - Part Time
Position Summary: Positions reports to the Janitorial Supervisor. Performs activities related to the upkeep of the zoo grounds, walks, public areas, restrooms, offices and horticulture areas. This is a part time position with the Sacramento Zoological Society.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- General Grounds Cleaning
- Rake leaves, lawn clippings and debris
- Cob-webbing of exterior structures & benches
- Cleaning benches, railings & signs
- Cleaning exterior of all exhibit glass
- Clean-up of biologics
- Over-all cleanliness & tidiness of zoo grounds & walkways
- Daily general cleanup of Zoo including restrooms, walkways, playground, staff areas, grounds and trash
- Bulb replacement throughout zoo
- Assisting Interpretive center with amphitheater cleaning
- Event requests (barricades/stanchions)
- Keep trash compressed in dumpster down below
- Wash down/ cleaning of Giraffe deck & underneath deck and reptile house.
- Assist with / complete rats and sacks
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications: Experience with janitorial. Must have and maintain a valid California driver’s license.
Abilities: Understand and carry out oral instructions. Perform light to heavy manual labor. Must be able to navigate Zoo grounds and work in inclement weather conditions.
To apply, please send a resume by October 1, 2016 to:
Membership Assistant – Part-time
Position summary: The Membership Assistant is a customer service position primarily responsible for the sales, processing and fulfillment of memberships. The Membership Assistants are part of the Membership Department team, which serves as the primary customer service contact for both Zoo members and daily visitors; acting as an ambassador for the Zoo’s mission of education and conservation. This is an entry level, part-time position.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide excellent customer service at the membership admissions gate, membership office, via internet, written correspondence and on phones
- Pay strict attention to detail in order to maintain an accurate donor database
- Serve as an ambassador of the Sacramento Zoo for all members and visitors, informing them of upcoming events and special promotions
- Work individually and as part of a team to achieve membership goals
- Ability to work in a small office with constant interruptions
- Maintain accurate cash drawer and presentable work space
- Assist with daytime and evening events (set up and tear down)
- Assist with other departments’ needs as necessary
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Other duties as assigned
- This person should be outgoing and enjoy working with all types of people. High school diploma or GED is required. Attention to detail and excellent oral communication and customer service skills are a must. Familiarity with computers is required.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and work availability by September 30, 2016 to:
Disclaimer: Job descriptions have been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of an employee assigned to this job.