Job Openings at the Sacramento Zoo
Open since 1927, the Sacramento Zoo is home to over 140 native, exotic and endangered species and is one of over 200 accredited institutions of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The Zoo is wholly managed by the Sacramento Zoological Society, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and provides an educational and recreational resource to the Sacramento Region.
Veterinary Technician - Full Time
The Sacramento Zoo is accepting applications for the position of full time Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) at the Dr. Murray E. Fowler Veterinary Hospital. The candidate will join the veterinary department at the Zoo including 3 veterinarians, a part time hospital assistant and 1 senior RVT/ hospital manager. The RVT will be under the supervision of the senior RVT / hospital manager.
- Candidate must be licensed (RVT) in the state of California or able to obtain license within 6 months of hire.
- Preference will be given to candidates with 2 years of previous zoo or non-domestic animal experience as a technician.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- routine husbandry of hospitalized and quarantine animals
- assisting with veterinary procedures
- monitoring animals under anesthesia
- performing routine in-house laboratory analysis including fecal exams, chemistry panels, complete manual blood counts on mammalian and non-mammalian samples
- cleaning and maintenance within the hospital as well as serving as an ambassador for the Sacramento Zoo
The veterinary hospital also features guest viewing windows; thus the technician should expect to interact with zoo visitors. Assisting with the teaching of veterinary students and residents is a key component of the job. The successful applicant is also expected to actively participate in the Sacramento Zoo’s conservation programs. Candidate must be able to work flexible hours which include weekend, holiday and overtime hours. Strong communication and organizational skills are required.
To apply submit a cover letter and resume by November 10, 2016:
Mail: Alison Mott, RVT, Sacramento Zoo
3930 W Land Park Dr, Sacramento CA 95822
Not all applicants will be interviewed.
Disclaimer: Job descriptions have been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of an employee assigned to this job.