Field Trip Planning
If you’ve already registered for your field trip, this page should have all the information you need to make your day a success. If you have any further questions, please email the Reservations Specialist or call (916) 808-8814.
What to know before you go!
- We will need an exact head count. When your group arrives at the Zoo, you will be asked to provide an accurate count of your group size based on age. We will need to know the number of individuals who are:
Under age 1
2 to 16 years of age
17 years old and above, including chaperones and teachers.
- School groups must have 10 or more attendees to qualify for the discounted admission rate.
- Please submit one form of payment for your group’s entrance. You may pay with cash, personal or company check, Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.
- 1 adult chaperone for every 8 students under the age of 18 is required.
- We recommend that your group wear distinctive shirts or some other “uniform” to make yourselves easily recognizable. Approximately 80,000 school children visit the Sacramento Zoo each year, so you may need to spot your students easily in a crowd.
- Take a look at the Zoo Calendar to find out which animal shows and talks are scheduled on the day of your visit.
- Check out our Teacher Resources page for information and activities to help you get the most out of your trip!
You’re here, now what?
- Please teach your students to respect the animals in the Zoo; this is their home. Running, climbing on fences and rails, yelling, or throwing things at the animals are all unacceptable behaviors.
- Students under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult chaperone while they are on Zoo grounds.
- What if your party gets separated? Please tell your group ahead of time to meet at the Gift Shop if any member becomes separated. If a child is lost, you can be assured that we will respond promptly. Give the nearest Zoo staff member a complete description of the child’s appearance and last known location, and then go to the Gift Shop to await your party.
- First Aid kits are available for your use at the Gift Shop or Kampala Café. If you need one and aren’t sure where to find it, just ask a staff person.
Frequently Asked Questions
- When can I pay for my field trip?
Entrance fees are due at the front gate when you arrive for your field trip. Payment cannot be made in advance. Cash, company or personal check with ID, MasterCard, Visa, and American Express are all accepted.
- What if I am a Sacramento Zoo member?
Your membership will be honored, but the rest of your group must still pay the group entrance fee. There is no member discount for fee based programming such as Survive and Thrive: An Animal Adaptation Show.
- More field trip questions?
Please email the Reservations Specialist or call (916) 808-8814.