Job Openings at the Sacramento Zoo
Open since 1927, the Sacramento Zoo is home to over 140 native, exotic and endangered species and is one of over 200 accredited institutions of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The Zoo is wholly managed by the Sacramento Zoological Society, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and provides an educational and recreational resource to the Sacramento Region.
Events Coordinator - Full Time
The Sacramento Zoological Society is seeking a full-time Events Coordinator under the supervision of the Director of Development. The Events Coordinator is responsible for scheduling, servicing and coordinating all zoo fundraising events, as well as private rentals (group events). The Events Coordinator works directly with the catering manager and multiple zoo departments to provide excellent customer service. This position is full-time, requiring some overtime and a very flexible work schedule.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Coordination of all zoo events including fundraising events, private rentals, weddings, corporate events and birthday parties
- Supervision of one full-time events assistant, as well as additional on-call staff and volunteers as needed to ensure adequate coverage for events
- Works directly with animal care and management to ensure safety protocols and security measures are in place for all events
- Maintains training as Event Supervisor
- Secures street closure permits, special licenses, tables, chairs, on-grounds transportation, radios, etc. with multiple vendors for all events
- Creates contracts for all booked events, coordinates invoicing, processes billing and payment for events
- Works with Development Director to develop and facilitate the annual group events marketing plan, rental fees, revenue goals and budget
- Works with on-site catering manager to determine event menus, budget and set-up requirements for private rentals
- Works with multiple departments (internal and external) to determine needs for various events
- Serves on various fundraising committees
- Schedules and maintains Zoo’s master calendar including private rentals, internal meetings, Zoo fundraising events, etc.
- Minimum of 3 years’ event planning experience with increasing responsibility; non-profit event planning preferred
- Supervisory experience required
- A personal belief in the mission, goals, and objectives of the organization
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Raiser’s Edge (preferred)
- Ability to organize and prioritize work with multiple distractions
- Creative, flexible, friendly, reliable and detailed oriented
- Exercise good judgment and professionalism
- Ability to stand or walk for long periods of time without rest; ability to sit, stoop, kneel or bend to accommodate event set-up
- Ability to perform work which involves frequent lifting, carrying and/or pushing of items up to 50lbs.
- Valid California Drivers’ License
Health insurance and other benefits are available.
Submit cover letter and resume by September 4, 2015 to:
Lisa Clement, Development Director