Job Openings at the Sacramento Zoo
The Sacramento Zoological Society, the 501(c)3 non-profit corporation that manages the Sacramento Zoo, is seeking an experienced, innovative and dynamic Deputy Director to oversee animal programs and facilities. The Zoo exhibits over 500 specimens representing 150 species on 14 acres in a well-established city park. The Zoo hosts over 500,000 visitors annually. The Sacramento Zoo has been accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums since 1975 and has a strong participation in AZA programs.
The Deputy Director will join the staff and board of directors in the zoo’s mission to inspire appreciation, respect and a connection with wildlife and nature through education, recreation and conservation. This senior management position reports directly to the Executive Director/CEO.
- 5 years of supervisory experience in a zoological park
- Bachelor’s degree (graduate work a plus); extensive experience may substitute
- Coordination of all aspects of animal care and facility maintenance
- Direct supervision of Animal Management Team (including three Supervisors), as well as front line Animal Care staff (union and non-union), facility maintenance, grounds and horticulture
- Collection planning, exhibit design and renovation
- Oversight of Species Survival Plan and AZA Studbook programs
- Maintenance of AZA accreditation standards as applicable to the animal collection and facilities
- Partner with the Zoo veterinarian in oversight of husbandry guidelines and requirements
- Act as media spokesperson for the Zoo
- Oversight of Zoo operations (including daily Zoo supervision, safety, security, emergency preparedness, etc.) and serving as acting Director/CEO in the absence of the Director
- Other duties as assigned by the Director/CEO
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of AZA standards and contemporary zoological park exhibit design
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and manage multiple priorities and projects effectively
- A team player who is creative, result-oriented, self-starting, willing to learn, and inspires cooperation
- Valid U.S. driver’s license.
Submit resume and salary history to:
Mail: Mary Healy, Director/CEO
3930 West Land Park Drive
Sacramento, CA 95822