Job Openings at the Sacramento Zoo
Open since 1927, the Sacramento Zoo is home to over 140 native, exotic and endangered species and is one of over 200 accredited institutions of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. The Zoo is wholly managed by the Sacramento Zoological Society, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and provides an educational and recreational resource to the Sacramento Region.
Reservations Specialist - Full Time
Summary: Position will participate and contribute to any duties and projects as needed to assist the Sacramento Zoo in achieving its overall mission as well as maintain Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) accreditation. A full-time salaried position, consisting of 40 hours per week (hours will flex on occasion). The position reports to the Education Director. Work week is generally Monday through Friday, but hours will flex depending on time of year and special events, etc. Primary responsibility is the booking and registration of the school programs, group sales, and family programs offered through the Education Department. Hourly plus benefits.
- Communicate with the public in a courteous and tactful manner and assist guests and volunteers with questions
- Excellent customer service and phone skills
- Proficient computer skills – experience working with a database and data entry
- Ability to learn the established organization system and maintain multiple calendars
- Excellent organizational skills and time management
- Must be able to multi-task between numerous programs and clients
- Constantly exhibit a guest service attitude, a smile, and an obvious interest in guest comfort and service
- Provide positive leadership and support for volunteers, the Education Department and others within the Zoo
- Performing timely customer service over the phone, fax, online, and email to make reservations for school / facility visits to the Zoo
- Overseeing online reservations through web-based program
- Promoting and booking Zoo docent programs as applicable; such as tours, Zoo Previews and others
- Promoting and booking entry to special fee-based seasonal exhibits or programs as needed
- Preparing and mailing confirmation packets as applicable
- Maintaining files of upcoming reservation records by date
- May be needed to assist the front gate staff with schools entering the Zoo during busy season (April through June)
- Responsible for registration and administrative duties for camp and seasonal classes, including building of registration online and reporting
- Responsible for check-in of campers during summer camp
- Processing scholarships (summer camp, field trip, financial need, etc.)
- Overnight registrations
- Drafting & sending contracts
- Collecting payment
- Communicating information to program coordinators
- Similar duties as above, with the additional task of liaising with Zoo’s group events as needed
- At times, creating special passes to assist groups to enter from the park
- On Fridays, creating reports for zoo staff on upcoming week
- Reports estimated numbers for upcoming busy months to Front Gate and other staff
- Creating summary attendance reports by county as needed
- Other reports as requested (refund reports and other financial reports)
- Assist in the management of the Volgistics program for our docent volunteers.
- Communicate information about docent program reservations to chairs and others
- Liaison and assist the docents with day-to-day tasks and Zoo Walks as needed
- Reserve meetings in the Discovery Room so as not to conflict with docent programs
- With clerical support for the Education Director, Program Coordinator, Outreach Coordinator and docents, including: word processing, copying and filing
- Cross-training with Graphics Coordinator/Office Manager to cover that job when she is on vacation or ill
- Assist with ZooMobile reservations as needed
- Assist with some Education programs
- Take minutes at Education staff meetings
- Other duties as assigned.
Send resume and cover letter by May 6, 2016 to:
Facilities Project Manager - Full Time
Position Summary: This position is a full time Project Manager position at the Sacramento Zoo and reports to the Facilities Director. This position will perform all duties relating to project management, vendor coordination, project design, electrical, plumbing, carpentry, construction, demo work, and scheduling. The Project Manager will work with the department to accomplish various projects throughout the Zoo on a daily basis. A successful candidate will have a positive attitude, be willing to present ideas on projects, have problem-solving skills, work independently, be flexible while working around animals, and must be willing to learn new skills and techniques to expand job knowledge.
- Work with Facilities Director and animal care team to design projects.
- Obtain cost estimates and bids for projects.
- Schedule contractors for projects.
- Provide weekly reports on status of all ongoing projects and department work.
- Work with team leads to ensure that all work orders and projects are completed in a timely manner and documented.
- Assign monthly training topics within the department and track the training.
- Track and update all monthly inspections in the data base.
- Assign work orders to department and input all related data into the work order system.
- Work with Facilities Director to help plan the budget and future project timelines.
- Coordinate safety walks throughout the Zoo to determine any issues.
- Work independently when needed to accomplish tasks.
- Lift items over 50 pounds on a continuous basis.
- Perform all duties in all weather conditions.
- Adhere to all safety rules and regulations.
A minimum of 5 paid years in related skills: (project management, scheduling, project design, carpentry, plumbing, electrical) any combination may be accepted.
High school diploma or GED is required. Trade school or other related schooling is preferred but not required.
Send resume and cover letter by May 9th to:
Disclaimer: Job descriptions have been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of an employee assigned to this job.