Sacramento Zoo's Green Team
The Zoo’s Green Team has expanded their message to encourage “greener” behavior from all staff, docents and volunteers.
Green Team Goals for 2015
The Green Team has accomplished a lot since it's formation in 2003. There is an overall effort to reduce waste, conserve energy and create positive change here and with in our community. Here are some goals for 2015 to keep our momentum going.
- Continue to look for vinyl banner alternatives
- Underwrite cost of alternative banners for some events
Current Recycling and Conservation Practices
Here is a small sample of the practices we are committed to following.
Offices and Personal Work Areas
- Recycle paper, plastics, batteries, printer cartridges, fluorescent bulbs, cell phones, styrofoam, CDs, DVDs, data storage disks and e-waste
- Uses high post-consumer recycled content in business cards and general letter head
- Use recycle content office supplies, paper for brochures, mailers and flyers
- Staff uses re-usable containers, cups and utensils in offices and turns off all lights and computers at night
- Uses biodegradable trash bags where possible
Concessions and Gift Store
- Follows the Sustainable Seafood guidelines
- Switched over to sustainable food containers including biodegradable corn plastics and plates made from sugar cane fiber
- Offers condiments in containers not individual packets
- Offers fair trade items for sale
- Opened the more energy efficient Savannah Snacks
- Committment to being palm oil free
Maintenance & Grounds
- Switching over to more energy efficient fluorescent and LED bulbs as an alternative
- Using a mechanical sweeper when practical instead of a leaf blower
On-going Green Team Activities
- Provide containers for recycling at on-site special fundraising events
- Yearly Recycle Rummage Sale, raising money for the Zoo’s recycling and conservation programs while keeping gently used items out of the landfill
- Collects eyeglasses, inkjet cartridges, ewaste and cell phones with funds going towards conservation programs
- Bench Sponsorship program uses only benches made of recycled materials
- Banners are reused by animal care for cart covers and upcycled into durable tote bags
- Recycle Zoo maps and event programs
- Seafood Watch cards to 7,000 people annually
- Hosts a bike-to-work day for employees
- Offer reusable tote bags and stainless steel water bottles for purchase
- Purchasing carbon offsets for air travel and Zoo vehicles
- Encourage Zoo staff to make a year long Green Pledge
One of our most successful projects is converting our Zoo Members to "Green" Members who only receive Zoo news and renewals through email. In 2006 we started with 400 Green Members. We climbed to 1,865 in 2007, 2,883 in 2008, 3,699 in 2009, 4,952 in 2010, 6,376 in 2011, 7,700 in 2012 and 9,100 in 2013. We surpassed our goal in 2014 with 10,507 Green Members! Each Green Member saves us money in printing and postage costs each year. Plus we save 4 Maagizos, 2 postcards, 4 envelopes and 2 letters worth of paper! That means we saved about $25,000 and 4,700 pounds of paper in 2014 alone! Sign up to be a Green Member when you purchase your membership or renew, in person, online or through the mail.
Already a member, but want to be Green? Call the Membership Department at (916) 808-5888 or email your Green Member request.