Special Events Volunteer Job Description
General duties and requirements:
- Volunteers must be able to commit to at least 3 events per year for a minimum of 12 hours per year.
- Should be flexible to assist wherever needed for event, may be asked to move around to different stations, be flexible.
- Provide the Zoo with a completed application. Volunteers must be a minimum age of 15 years old, if under the age of 18 you must have parent sign application agreement.
- If you are unable to make a commitment to an event you must call with a notice of cancelation
- Work well with children. As a majority of what is needed for events involves working fun stations such as crafts or information handouts.
- May require some lifting and moving of tables and chairs to either assist with set-up / tear-down of event. Could be up to 25 lbs; this will be two person teams.
- May involve serving food, handing out items such as t-shirts, packets of information, fliers at the front gate, or greeting guests as they arrive. This may require being on your feet for two hours or more.
- Must dress appropriately for environment, good shoes; no revealing clothing (such as no midriff bearing tops, no trousers that reveal undergarments. etc.)
- Please do not spend all your time on your cell phone as you are here to provide a service to the Zoo, while we want you to enjoy yourselves we also would like your full attention directed toward your task.
- There is zero tolerance for violence in our work environment. No drugs allowed and we are a non-smoking facility.
- If you are a High School student requiring service hours for your school, the Volunteer Coordinator or event supervisor will sign your paperwork. If you need a letter please give us 24 hours to provide that for you.
- If you experience any problems while volunteering for an event please see the Volunteer Coordinator or event supervisor immediately so it can be addressed.
We thank you so much for your interest in serving the the Zoo. We hope that you will have some wonderful experiences and gain some exciting insight to the world of animals when you volunteer.
Form more information, call the Volunteer Coordinator at (916) 808-7444 or click here to request a volunteer application. Must be at least 15 years of age!