For private events at the Sacramento Zoo
The grounds here are private, peaceful and beautiful throughout the year. Although this is one of the most exceptional sites in the Sacramento area for a wedding celebration, the Sacramento Zoo is also an excellent choice for other special events, daytime retreats, picnics and business functions.
Provided by Taste of the Wild Catering
Provided by Caterer
Corkage fee applies to alcohol brought on Zoo grounds.
- Wedding Ceremony Capacity: Several spaces hold 20-100 indoors or up to 250 outdoors
- Meeting or Reception Capacity: The Kampala Center holds 100 seated theater-style, and 80 for Dinner/Dance or Banquet style in winter and up to 250 in summer.
- Coporate Event Capacity is dependent on space rented. Full Zoo Rentals will accommodate up to 3000.
Fees & Deposits
For weddings, a nonrefundable deposit reserves your date. Half of the rental balance is payable 30 days after signature of contract, the other half is due 30 days prior to the event. Please contact our Group Events Coordinator to discuss the customized details of your special event. Fees for all functions and meetings vary depending on group size, room setup and equipment; call for specific rates.
Year-round, daily, 8:00 am – 11:00 pm. * All outdoor music must end by 10:00 pm.
- Catering: On-Site Taste of the Wild Catering available
- Kitchen Facilities: NA
- Tables & Chairs: CBA
- Linens, Silver, etc.: Provided by caterer
- Restrooms: Wheelchair accessible
- Dance Floor: CBA, extra fee
- Meeting Equipment: CBA, extra fee
- Bride's Dressing Area: Yes
- Parking: On street, or adjacent lot
- Accommodations: No guestrooms
- Telephone: Emergency use only
- Outdoor Night Lighting: Limited, additonal lighting CBA
- Outdoor Cooking Facilities: N/A
- Cleanup: Provided
- Audio Visual: CBA
- Alcohol: through caterer/corkage fees - a one time $100 fee for permits is required
- Smoking: not allowed on zoo grounds
- Music: Sensible amplification OK until 10 pm
- Wheelchair Access: Yes
- Insurance: Required for bar
- Other: Decorations limited; no rice, food, Mylar, balloons, Styrofoam
Parking is available directly across the street from the zoo’s main entrance next to Fairytale Town. If you are planning a company picnic or daytime gathering during the busy summer months, please suggest to your guests that they arrive before 11:00am, as parking spaces close to the Zoo are somewhat limited.
For evening events, parking is usually not a problem. If you need maps to the zoo for your guests, ask the Group Events Coordinator.
If you wish to have games or activities during your event, please discuss your plans with the Group Events Coordinator during your event planning meetings. Certain areas are more appropriate for games, music and other activities. Our first concern is to ensure the health of our animals - some are easily disturbed by loud noises. Please be aware that for our animals’ safety, we cannot have any type of object that can be thrown or could float away (ie: balloons, balls, Frisbees).
All entertainment selections must be pre approved by the Zoo. Costumed entertainers must be cleared by the Zoo prior to the event. They will be given specific entry directions to avoid direct contact with certain animals. Please discuss with us your desire to have a band or musicians play at your event. We have strict sound guidelines and limited areas for such performers. All band and entertainment personnel must contact our Group Events Coordinator prior to your event date to review their electrical requirements and other needs. There may be additional fees imposed depending on the set up time required by Zoo staff.
All decorations MUST be approved by the Zoo, in advance. Due to the sensitivity of our animals, NO balloons, styrofoam products, straws, glitter, confetti, or Mylar ribbon are allowed in the Zoo. We can arrange for decorations based on your budget, if you so wish.
We require that nothing be posted, nailed, screwed, or otherwise attached to the walls, floors, zoo signs or other parts of buildings, furniture or surrounding areas, including trees and other landscaping. Promotional banners and signs can be displayed in limited areas. Discuss with the Group Events Coordinator.
Your organization or company is responsible for removing ALL decorations, promotional materials, supplies, rental equipment, etc. IMMEDIATELY following your event. The Zoo is NOT responsible for any such materials or equipment left behind.
You should consider providing your guests the rare opportunity to meet some of our education outreach animals.
- Option #1: Regularly scheduled Animal Encounters and Animal Talks occur throughout the year. Ask the Group Events Coordinator for the scheduled times and locations. No charge.
- Option #2: If you prefer a private animal encounter for your group we may be able to accommodate you. Arrangements must be made at least TWO WEEKS in advance of your event. Cost varies according to the time of your event.
Should a cancellation occur three months prior to your event date, all but the initial rental deposit will be refunded. For cancellation made between the three month cut off and thirty days prior to the event, 50% of the rental fee is refundable. A written request for your refund MUST be received before remittance will be made.