The Sacramento Zoo’s Sumatran tiger cub, born on Thursday, March 18, 2010 needs a name. The Zoo is requesting the help of the community to choose a name fitting for this adorable cub. Her name will be announced when she goes out on exhibit for the first time in June (date will be announced in early June).
The following list of names and their meaning can be voted on at saczoo.com.
• Shamrock – Born the day after St. Patty's Day, this little cub is sure to be a lucky charm.
• Selamat – It has multiple meanings in Indonesian: congratulations, safe and survivor. The Sumatran tiger is an endangered species and the birth of this girl is a safeguard for the survival of the species.
• Malia – Malia Obama, the daughter of President Barack Obama, talks to her father weekly about what he is doing to save her favorite animals, the endangered tigers.
• Jingga – It means orange in Indonesian. The little tiger cub already has a full coat of orange and black striped fur. Did you know that no two tigers have an identical stripe pattern?
• Lina – for Lina Fat, the matriarch of the Fat family in Sacramento, whose philanthropy has greatly served the Sacramento community.