Print This Post
Summer Zoo Bucket List
Trying to figure out what to do at the Sacramento Zoo this summer? Below is a bucket list of activities with insider tips. How many can you check off the list?
- Spot your reflection in the eye of a giraffe during a Giraffe Encounter
- Cast your vote for conservation at the Quarters for Conservation wishing wells
- Convince Heinie the plain-colored Amazon parrot to say hello
- Seek out the zoo’s oldest resident. Hint: he is celebrating his 90th birthday this year
- Watch a zookeeper give an emu a bath
- Ride the okapi on the Conservation Carousel
- Try all six ICEE flavors
- Adults can play like a kid and party like an adult at Wild Games on July 29
- Bring a picnic and enjoy lunch on the Sensory Garden Lawn
- Stop by the Dr. Murray E. Fowler Veterinary Hospital to see an animal receive its annual health exam. Tip: the best time to catch an exam is weekdays between 9 and 10 a.m.
- Make time for keeper chats where you can ask zookeepers your silliest animal questions
- Visit the closest living relatives of the dinosaurs, the birds!
- Sleepover at the zoo during an Overnight Safari
- Stop by the Reptile House to see if a zookeeper is training the smooth-fronted caiman
- Bring the tykes to the Nature Explorers program
- Listen for the sounds of the black and white ruffed lemurs. Hint: ask a docent to help identify the sound, it might not be what you expect
- Discover the Zoo’s Backyard, a floral oasis filled with native plants attracting native wildlife
- Find all the zoo’s talk boxes
- Get a brain freeze at the all-you-can-eat Ice Cream Safari on August 19
- Take a trip around the world at a Wildlife Stage Show
- See what happens when an armadillo takes a bath in the amphitheater. Tip: this often happens on the hottest of days during the afternoon Wildlife Stage Show
- See how many flamingos you can spot on the lake
- Meet Cameron the bateleur eagle after a show
Plan your visit today!
Make a difference
Impact the lives of the nearly 500 animals
who call the Sacramento Zoo home.