Sleep at the Zoo
Family and Overnight Safari programs are fun-filled educational evenings including a guided tour of what the nighttime zoo has to offer. This is a perfect opportunity to see animal behaviors you may not have seen before.
During your overnight safari you will:
- Take a twilight tour of the zoo
- Watch animals receive enrichments
- Meet animal ambassadors up close
- Enjoy songs, stories and a snack during an evening program
- Listen to the sounds of the wild as you fall asleep under the stars
- Enjoy a grab-and-go breakfast snack
Family Overnight Safaris
We are postponing our Family Overnight registration until further notice. If you would like to be on our camp mailing list, please follow this link and add your contact information. Thank you for your continued support of our Education Programs.
Set dates for families or friend groups of 2 or more.
A grab-and-go breakfast snack is included.
Sac Zoo members: $55 per person
Non-members: $65 per person
Scout groups are welcome at all overnights. However, this year we have two specific scout nights: June 19 and July 18!
2020 Family Overnight Dates
Friday, June 19*
Saturday, June 27
Saturday, July 11
Saturday, July 18*
Friday, July 24
Saturday, August 1
Friday, August 7
*We have specific overnights this year for scouts of all kinds – see the asterisked dates above!
Group Overnight Safaris
Flexible dates for groups of 50-100.
Meets California State Science Frameworks for all grades.
Grab and go breakfast included.
Groups of 50 people or more: $55 per person
Dates are reserved via a request form
2020 Family Overnight registration begins Mar. 31 at noon.
Family overnight safari visitors enter through the back gate of the zoo at 6:30 pm. Gates close promptly at 7 pm. See directions here.
6:30 – 7 pm: Welcome! Set up camp on the Reptile House lawn
7 – 7:15 pm: Welcome program in the amphitheater
7:15 – 8:45 pm: Nighttime safari tour and nocturnal nibbles animal feeding
8:45 – 10 pm: Evening program with animal encounters – then off to bed! *Campers must stay in designated areas overnight.
6:30 – 7:30 am: Wake up with nature’s alarm clock – then break down camp
7:30 – 8 am: Breakfast with the animals
8 – 9 am: Morning walkabout and morning munchies animal feeding
9 am: You may stay and explore the zoo during the day.
- Safaris embark at 6:30 pm and end at 9 am the following morning
- Gates close promptly at 7 pm
- Ages 4 to adult welcome; children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult
- A minimum of 1 adult chaperone per 6 children (ages 4-17) is required
- You must register for 2 or more people
- Your group will set up camp on the zoo’s Reptile House lawn
- You may sleep under the stars or in your tent
- The zoo provides a snack with the evening program and a grab-and-go breakfast snack, including hot chocolate and coffee in the morning
- Check out the list of what to bring.
The Family Overnight program is designed for ages 4 and older; we strongly recommend you do not include children under the age of 4 due to the nature of the program. All attendees must be pre-registered including children under 4.
If you need to cancel, visit the Family Overnight Safari cancellation page.
Group sleepover safari visitors enter through the back gate of the zoo at 6 pm. Gates close promptly at 6:30 pm. See directions here.
6 – 6:30 pm: Move cars into the zoo – meet at the back gate
6:30 pm: Zoo gates closed and locked
6 – 6:45 pm: Set up camp on the Reptile House lawn
6:45 – 7 pm: Safari welcome at the amphitheater
7 – 8:15 pm: Nighttime safari tour – only adults may bring flashlights
8:15 – 8:30 pm: Nocturnal nibbles animal feeding
8:30 – 9:30 pm: Fun around the campfire at the amphitheater
10 pm: Bedtime, sleep tight! Those not spending the night should meet at the back of the amphitheater to be escorted to their cars.
6:30 am: Wake up!
6:30 – 7 am: Grab and go breakfast. Learn about animal diets as you eat yours!
7 – 7:45 am: Reptile House and zoo’s backyard scavenger hunt
7:45 – 8:15 am: Morning Munchies animal feeding
8:15 – 9 am: Break camp and move cars out of the zoo
9 am: You may stay and explore the zoo during the day!
- Overnight safaris are held from the end of April through May, and August through September.
- A minimum of 1 adult chaperone per 6 children (ages 5-17) is required. No children under 5 are allowed.
- Please eat dinner before you arrive.
- Your group will set up camp on the zoo’s Reptile House lawn.
- You may sleep under the stars or in a tent.
- The zoo provides a campfire snack at night and a grab an go breakfast in the morning.
- Check out the list of what to bring.
Questions about overnight safaris? Email the Reservation Specialist or call 916-808-8814.
Want to experience the nighttime zoo without sleeping here? Check out the Starlight Safari program for classes, groups or birthdays.